Terragong - Jamberoo
Terragong House was built in 1858 as a gentleman's country residence by The Hon. John Marks MLA, MLC and the property was farmed with paid labour. When John returned to live in his Sydney property ('Glenrock' at Edgecliff, now Fiona House at Ascham School), he leased Terragong to his brother Samuel, who continued in the same vein and resided for 30 years on the property, running it as a dairy farm, also with hired help.
Upon Samuel's retirement to Sydney, his only son Ernest John Marks acquired the property for the sum of one thousand pounds from Mrs Elizabeth Preston Marks, his aunt and widow of John; as the property was entailed and could only be owned by a male Marks in direct line of inheritance, the transfer of ownership was referred through the Equity Court.
At this time, the Holz family was employed to work the farm and Ernest Marks directed his activities and concentrated his attentions on stock market investing. In turn, the property was willed in equal proportions to Ernest Marks' three sons - Brian, Eric and Cedric, all of whom spent their entire lives living on and farming the property. Following the death of Eric in 1974, his brothers carried on with the help of Cedric's sons Gary and Wayne.
In 2014 - and after ownership by seven generations of the Marks family - Darryl Gordon and Simon Milner purchased Terragong from the Marks family, and a new chapter in the history of Terragong commenced.
Terragong 1858 Country House Bed & Breakfast opened to guests on the Easter long weekend, 2016.
Click here for more information on the history of Terragong provided by the current owners.
HHA members receive a 10% discount on the usual room rate for stays of 2 nights or more. Email email@example.com for booking details.