The built environment of the Bundanon Trust comprises several groups of architecturally notable buildings, distinguished by the 1860's sandstone homestead at Bundanon.
The two-storey stone homestead at Bundanon was completed in 1866, prompted by the need for increased room for the growing Mackenzie family. It was built of local sandstone and timber, with lime mortar made from shell deposits collected downstream. The homestead was sited on high ground above the flood level of the river, taking advantage of cooling breezes and providing views across the property.
Bundanon was purchased by Sandra and Tony McGrath, art historian and art dealer, respectively, and Frank McDonald, also an art dealer in 1968. It was sold to renowned Australian artist Arthur Boyd and his wife Yvonne in 1979. The Boyds gifted it to the people of Australia in 1993.
The property continues to be managed by the Bundanon Trust, on behalf of the Commonwealth Government for the people of Australia.
Sunday: 10.30am - 4pm