St Joseph's Guesthouse - Lower MacDonald
St Joseph’s Guesthouse was beautifully renovated from the ruins of a 160 year old Catholic church by Steve Kavanagh. He painstakingly brought the building, which is the oldest Catholic church on the mainland, back from ruin to the winner of the 2012 National Trust Best Restored Heritage Building in NSW award.
The church was constructed on land donated by John Watson at a cost of £300, and the foundation stone was laid by Bishop Bede Polding in 1839. Built of locally quarried sandstone with walls 2 feet thick and triple lancet window on eastern side. The stone mason named in early records was Patrick Leary and the architect was possibly Henry Edmund Goodridge.
Lower MacDonald, NSW